Thursday, April 6, 2006

How to be Culturally Capable

Yesterday, Clarence Eddy and I co-facilitated a class called "BKM's for Global Productivity".

We work with 'global goddess' Heather Hinrichs of Meridian Resources to provide this class, which is based on the book "Working Globesmart" (highly recommended).

No better tool set exists for approaching an unfamiliar location than keen eyes, open ears, a flexible mind, and a willing heart.
-Ernest Gundling, "Working Globesmart"
That said, Meridian provides an awesome tool called 'Globesmart' that identifies your cultural profile, and maps it to your target countries cultural profile. Gaps are then mapped, and the tool helps you identify a plan to close those gaps.

The picture above shows my cultural profile vs. US and Japan.
I map pretty well against Japanese culture in terms of Long-term outlook and Interdependence, but have large gaps in my views on Status and Risk.
Based on this information, I can prepare myself to adjust to the Japanese culture by:
  • Ibserving and leverage protocols around age and title, where appropriate
  • Focusing on how my programs avoid risk, as opposed to embrace risk
It's a very cool tool and a class worth taking.
I never make a first trip without consulting it!


0 comments: