Monday, August 10, 2009

The Six Disciplines of slide:ology

Wow... it's a busy time.


I've got three major programs going on at work.
I'm just finishing the 10th class in my Masters program (out of 13).
I'm proofreading a buddy's book.
I'm co-writing a series on Mentoring with another buddy.
And I'm finishing my first book proposal.

I'd consider saying no to one or two of these projects, except that every thing I'm working on informs every other thing I'm working on. Does that make sense?

An example:
I've been working on a project to introduce slide:ology into our company. I want (no... need...) to change our corporate culture around presentation skills.
So, we've worked with the amazing team at Duarte Design to build a slide:ology program that completely kicks butt.

I've also been working with my colleagues on strengthening the learning process in our company. We want to see learners practice and reinforce the skills they acquire in our classrooms. A few months ago, we brought in Cal Wick from Fort Hill to lead us through the Six Disciplines of Breakthrough Learning. It was a great day, and coincidentally occurred one week before the first slide:ology workshop.

I put the 6D's into action. We had slide:ology attendees send us 5 slides as pre-work for the workshop. I then graded the slides on the slide:ology criteria.
We used those slides as the content for the workshop and guided the attendees through exercises to improve their slide design.
Then, we opened up a 6-week window to support and reinforce the learning. Each attendee could send me 5 new slides. We coached them through this entire process.

The result? How about an 1800% improvement against the criteria? How about raves from executive review? Pretty cool, huh?

Slide:ology is awesome. The 6D's are amazing.
Mixed? Two great tastes that taste great together!
Like Long Island Iced Tea and and Filet Mignon...


0 comments: