Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Le Grand Tour D'Asia: Day 26 of 58

Watching People Watching People Watching

February 02, 2010
Learning Moment: Singapore

I love gatherings. Some of my favorite places in Asia are just gathering spots.

Yokohama Koen, The Bund in Shanghai, Orchard Road in Singapore, Shibuya Station, and Waikiki Beach are all locations where I love to hang out. In all of these places, you find older men who like to sit and watch the world move by in a flurry of color and sound.

These men just soak it all in - not needing to participate. They are happy just to watch.
I'll probably be one of those old guys some day.

I enjoy watching people, of course. But I also enjoy watching people watch other people.
This gentleman is sitting in Albert Mall, where Chinese New Year festivities are underway. He's witnessing thousands of people walk by: buying flowers, praying at the local temple, picking out fruit, and seeking a little prosperity from the gods of fortune.


0 comments: