Monday, March 6, 2006

Can we move Beyond Culture?

I'm in Seoul this week, delivering two classes.

Each day I have a 90 minute subway commute to the office in Sunae.
I've got my i-pod, a world full of new people to watch, and a book in hand - so I'm happy.

Today, I finished reading Edward T. Hall's "Beyond Culture".
There's at least one thought provoking statement on every page, but here's a favorite quote from the book...
"Today, man is increasingly placed in positions in which culture can no longer be depended upon to produce reliable readings of what other people are going to do next. He is constantly in the position of interacting with strangers, so he must take the next step and begin to transcend his culture. This cannot be done in an armchair."
The emphasis is mine.
Written in 1976, the statement is truer today than ever - and, as demonstrated daily on the world stage, no closer to reality than it was then.

Hall's books give us clear stories and steps to begin the process, making the books true gems. I highly recommend them...


0 comments: