Friday, March 13, 2009

VizThink 09 Highlights: Icebreaker

Connections with friends you've never met...

As a facilitator, I love to collect icebreaker activities. I enjoyed this one that was used at VizThink 09, and thought I would share it.

There was white drawing paper covering each table. We were asked to write or draw a few things about ourselves on the paper. I think we were given 3 minutes.

We then looked at our tablemates words/images (there were approx 8 people / table) and drew connection lines between any items that were the same (or where there was a connection).
For example, I drew a connection from my time in Japan to a Japanese woman across the table.

At the end of the exercise, you stand up and observe all the connections you have with people that were strangers 5 minutes ago.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glenn,

Thanks so much for this great ice breaker idea.

As a Facilitator/Trainer I'm always looking for a way to begin a session that's interesting, gives introverts a comfortable introduction to the group and makes a point that can lead into our objectives.

I've found many times the quality of the ice breaker gives a clue to the quality of the upcoming session.

I quickly learned the word loquacious when the adjective name game was the rage. Glad those days are over.

Cheers,
Lisa