Sunday, September 13, 2009

What I Did This Downturn...

Remember those "What I did last summer" essays?


I'm reminded of them for two reasons:
1) It's 'back to school' season
2) Our business appears to be picking up again

Our previous CEO, Ken Schroeder, used to say that what you did during a downturn would determine how you did during the following upturn. He considered any downturn to be a time for retooling and refreshing skills.

The biggest impact this downturn had on me was a lack of business travel. Since 1993, I've spent anywhere from 30-95% of each year overseas - mostly in Asia. In the past 18 months, however, I have not made a business trip.

As a result, I've been able to engage in a number of projects that have given me amazing developmental opportunities:
  • I started my Master of Arts in Adult Education and Training at the University of Phoenix. I'll finish it in three months. I've met smart people that I wouldn't have otherwise met, discovered the foundations of adult learning, and witnessed the power of online learning.
  • I led two very challenging and rewarding projects at work - a mentoring program and a 'reboot' of our development process
  • I met Nancy Duarte, author of slide:ology, and spent the past 9 months working with her and her incredible team to provide instructional design consultation on the slide:ology workshop. This has been one of the most rewarding projects of my life.
  • I spent two great days with the VizThink community; meeting Dan Roam, Jessica Hagy, and Dave Gray, among others. It was a very stimulating event.
  • I was certified as:
    a DiSC profiling facilitator by Ken Blanchard Companies
    a facilitator of The Leadership Challenge Workshop
    a facilitator of Edward deBono's Six Thinking Hats
    a facilitator of Power Speaking's High Tech Speaking
    a facilitator of Vervago's Precision Q+A Workshop
    a facilitator of CMOE's Applied Strategic Thinking Workshop
    a facilitator of InsideOut Coaching
  • I was able to spend two days with Cal Wick of FortHill, learning The Six Disciplines of Breakthrough Learning
  • Randy Emelo of Triple Creek and I created the Mentoring Conversations Model and have written a series of six newsletters to introduce the model
  • I completed a training workbook, based entirely on manga-like images. The new workbook has been a big hit, particularly with our students for whom English is a second language.
  • I continued to put my new-found drawing skills into practice for storyboarding
In the next few weeks, I'll be attending workshops run by James Kirkpatrick and Stephen Few, so the learning hasn't stopped.
I would not have been able to enjoy most of these opportunities in a boom market, so I consider myself very lucky.

What about you? What did you do this downturn?


0 comments: