Sunday, July 13, 2008

Book Review: 101 Things I Learned in Architecture School

Perhaps the best book I've picked up this year, I recommend it for anyone who designs - and in case you didn't notice, we are all designers. Yeah, even you...
If you don't believe me, feel free to post and I'll happily change your mind for you :-)

Author: Matthew Frederick
Genre(s): Architecture, Design, Seeing, Thinking
Summary: Umm... read the title. It's a quick 202 pages long, with 2 pages dedicated to each of the lessons.

Favorite Quote: I'll give you three:
  • #3 - "Figure-ground theory states that the space that results from placing figures should be considered as carefully as the figures themselves."
    It's what Dave Matthews calls "The Space Between". It's what the Japanese treasure in the silence between words. It's what graphic designers call 'white space'.
    The world would be a lot more beautiful if we all considered the stuff around our stuff.
    Do we give learners time to reflect on content? Do we leave room for note-taking? Do we give ourselves time and space to be centered?
  • #18 - "Any design decision should be justified in at least two ways."
    In the book, Frederick uses the example of using a window to let in light and to frame a view. If your design element isn't doing at least two things, you probably aren't using it to full advantage.
    I wrote in yesterday's blog that I could use 'off-the-shelf' VisualSpeak images for my photo facilitation exercises, but I don't. Using my own images, I can integrate Asia-centric photos that resonate with my audience. It often brings up discussions about the photos, which builds rapport between me and my audience. Finally, I have the original digital images that I can use to document the event.
    My exercise design decision is justified in four ways.
  • #67 - "A good graphic presentation meets the Ten-Foot Test."
    Any presentation should be legible from 10 feet. That means EVERY WORD AND NUMBER!!!
    I often use the 'drop test'. Print out your slides. Drop them on the floor. Can you read every word and number? No? Start over. Or make handouts - why is everyone so allergic to handouts?

Strengths: This book couldn't be any smarter or friendlier - in size, in feel, in structure, or in tone.
Weaknesses: None that I can think of...

Conclusion: In case I wasn't clear enough - buy this book!

Post-it Flags: 58 flags
* Each time I find an interesting quote, model, image, or idea in a book, I mark it with a Post-it flag. The more flags, the more value I found in the book.


0 comments: