Sunday, July 27, 2008

Creativity, Magnetic Haiku, Water

I probably shouldn't tell you this, but I will. 

Yesterday, Angie and I drove over to the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa for lunch - they have great fish tacos - and then I, ummm, borrowed the swimming pool as well.

It was 90+ degrees and sunny, a perfect day to sit in the sun, read, and write poetry...

No, I don't typically write poetry, but I'm always looking for different ways to exercise creativity.
Last week, at Bookbuyers (one of my favorite used bookstores) in Mountain view, I bought the used Magnetic Poetry kit that Angie is modeling above. 
It's cool...

I don't know much about poetry (unless it rhymes with Nantucket), but I do like Japanese haiku.
My favorite thing about haiku is that it only uses 17 syllables (three lines 5-7-5).
So, we spent much of the afternoon trading haiku.

This is my favorite of the day...

And yes, it did win me 'brownie points' with Angie.

This morning, I woke up and wrote another haiku - this one inspired by the El Dorado Hotel, which we're enjoying very much, by the way (great restaurant and a balcony overlooking the square, which does have it's downsides).

white light through shutters
morning engines wake me up
edh hotel


0 comments: