Saturday, July 12, 2008

Facilitating with Metaphoric Images

We've been experimenting with metaphoric images in our facilitation lately.

I first saw them used in 2006, when I was attending Coach U in Singapore. The facilitators there used them 3 or 4 times during the week.

I did some web research when I returned, finding two primary sources - VisualsSpeak and The Center for Creative Leadership's Visual Explorer.

After reading about the images, I decided to build a set with my own photos. It's not that hard. You just pick photos that are ambiguous - that can be taken positively or negatively.

We've been using them for team sessions. A typical facilitation exercise starts with, "pick an image that represents the state your team is in today". Then, we might ask them to pick an image that represents what they'd like the team to look like in the future.

What happens next is a little bit of magic. The images grab some part of our right brain, but then we must explain them using the logic and words of our left brain. The result is a bit like truth serum. Feelings are expressed before the mind can suppress them, often surprising the person speaking those words.

It's a great way to start or end a session.
You can let participants choose their images, or you can hand them a random one and have them force a connection.

We've been using them with a number of individuals and teams.
In every situation we've tried, they've moved the conversation forward.

I bought a couple sets from VisualsSpeak for my colleagues recently.
I also saw the Visual Explorer set at The Leadership Challenge Workshop.
Both sets work fine. You can't go wrong with either.
Still, I prefer to use my own set - heavily loaded with Asian images - for my facilitations.


0 comments: