Friday, July 11, 2008

Creating a Team Charter the University of Phoenix Way

Okay... this surprises the hell out of me.

I've been working with teams for the past three years.
I have tons of co-workers who have attended the University of Phoenix.
So, why have I never seen or heard of one of these Team Charters?

The Team Charter is the coolest thing I've seen in my first two weeks of class at UOP.
It makes perfect sense. The first thing you do in your learning team is fill this out and agree on it.
The team:
  1. Lists all members and contacts
  2. Lists a skills inventory with strengths and weaknesses (I care too much...)
  3. Lists the learning team goals (I want an 'A'!!)
  4. Lists possible barriers to success (the weakest link...)
  5. Sets Ground rules

Seeing as you have 3-6 weeks to get this team functioning at a high-level, making a Team Charter is brilliant. So, why don't we do it for every team at work?

Why hasn't anyone who has attended UOP brought this into the work place?
Do students really leave behind everything they learn when they walk out the door?
How sad...

Anyway, I can't wait to put this into action at my next team building.
I'll let you know how it goes.
In the meantime, here's another team charter example.


0 comments: