Monday, July 7, 2008

Learning Styles

I'm currently working on a Masters Degree in Adult Education and Training.
One of my homeworks assignments this week was to find a learning styles assessment and complete it.

After googling a bit, I found this one:
http://www.engr.ncsu.edu/learningstyles/ilsweb.html

I found it more interesting than the VARK (Visual, Aural, Read/write, and Kinesthetic) test I've taken before. It measures on four continuums - Active/Reflective, Sensing/Intuitive, Visual/Verbal, and Sequential/Global.

It turns out that I'm Active/Intuitive/Visual/Global (my results are in the photo above).
The results ring true for me, because my favorite way to learn is just to dive in.
I want to discuss or play with the learning content. Experiments, exercises, and prototypes are right up my alley.
I like innovation and hate repetition. I like to sketch ideas. I often grab a marker and jump up to the board. In fact - and I hate to admit this - it's very common for me to take the marker out of a teacher's hand and draw, to illustrate my idea. It's a habit I'm trying to break...

What's this all mean?
Well, it's a little concerning, since I'm in an online program. Online courses don't encourage a lot of active, visual learning. So, I'm going to need to develop my reflective, verbal side.

I guess that's a good thing. It will put me in the shoes of many of my clients.


0 comments: