Sunday, December 14, 2008

Where Am I?

It's one of my pet peeves of travel:
'International' hotel design.

While I think it's supposed to convey sophistication, it only implies a lack of imagination.
When I wake up, I like to have some visual cues as to where the hell I am... but most hotels don't give me those cues.


Here are Four Hotels in Four Countries around the globe. Nice rooms. Nice hotels.


But can you tell me where they are?
I bet you can't.

Let's list all the possible places where the visual cues could be placed:
  • The Floor - carpet design, fabric, or wood
  • The Walls - color, texture, pattern, paper
  • Lamps
  • Furniture - bed, chairs, tables, etc.
  • Art - vases, paintings, carvings
  • Fabrics- bedspread, curtains, pillows

These hotels either ignored the possiblities, or shopped at the kind of bland interior design shop that could be found in the back aisles at Sears.

The question I always ask is, "Why?"

Is it really easier to buy fake French furniture than to souce local materials?
Are there still travelers who want every hotel room to be the same for consistency sake?
It can't be because this makes people feel at home... whose home looks like this?

Here's a free idea for hotels trying to differentiate themselves:
Hang two digital frames in each room. Let guests (maybe just members?) log on to the website and pick their art.

In Hawaii, I can choose Kim Taylor-Reece, Vintage Hula posters, upload family photos, or - if I'm really lame - pick from the 'cute cat collection'.
In Japan, I can choose from Hokusai, vintage Kurosawa posters, scenes of Mt. Fuji, or geisha.
And you can always have the default Monet's lilies, for people who don't want to think...


As ESPN's Bill Simmons would say, "Someone needs to make this happen"!


0 comments: