Tuesday, December 9, 2008

The Facilitation Diamond


If you're at all interested in teamwork, thinking, creativity, decision-making, or facilitation - you should read "Facilitator's Guide to Participatory Decision-Making" and keep it on your shelf for reference.


The book is full of good stuff, but my favorite tool in the book is the Facilitation Diamond.
Everytime I schedule a group facilitation, I have a pre-meeting with the session sponsor.
In the pre-meeting, I draw the Facilitation Diamond on the white board to show how the session will progress.

At this point, I open my toolbox and we decide which tools will work best.
I use seven (or so) sections to the session:
  1. Opening: Go over the agenda. Share the diamond flow. Perhaps a quick exercise.
  2. Diverging Activity 1: Present traditional or evolutionary ideas.
  3. Diverging Activity 2: Stimulate non-tradition, revolutionary ideas.
  4. Transition: A break or a brain-cleansing exercise.
  5. Converging Activity 1: To narrow the multitude of ideas to some actionable ones.
  6. Converging Activity 2: To chose the best one (or 3 - 5 ideas).
  7. Closing: Decide on next actions

I have large posters of the image above that I label with the tools that we'll be using. I hang these as the session agenda. 
It allows everyone to see a map of the energy flow for the day.

Here's a pdf that outlines the method in more detail.


0 comments: