Saturday, January 9, 2010

Le Grand Tour D'Asia: Day 1 of 58

Origami display at Narita Airport, Japan


Friday, Jan 8th
Learning Moment: Japan

I knew that Origami is a traditional Japanese 'art'.
I knew that there are origami clubs around the world and enough books on origami to fill a library.
I also knew that - despite living in Japan for 10 years - I'd never seen much origami that was more sophisticated than the proverbial 'crane chain'.

Today, as we were changing planes in Narita Airport, we passed an origami show.
There, for the first time, we saw origami diorama.
There was a scene of dancers in front of Mt. Fuji, a scene of Todaiji temple in Nara (complete with deer), and various other scenes.
I particularly like the details in the one above - two women in kimono enjoying tea and sweets.

Never underestimate what can be accomplished by an accomplished artist, with even the most primitive tools.
Still, I wonder if the artists ever get paper cuts...


0 comments: