Friday, January 22, 2010

Groundhog Day

An interesting pattern played out last week as I was conducting workshops at the Fortune Palms Hotel in Chennai. Every morning and every afternoon, we would take a traditional 10-15 minute 'tea break'.


On Tuesday morning, both the staff and my co-workers asked if I would like a hot tea or coffee.
"No thanks", I replied.
I have never drank a cup of coffee. The smell disgusts me. I don't even like the smell of coffee beans. Additionally, I'm not a big fan of hot drinks. I enjoy ice cold drinks: water, soda, iced tea, cocktails... You get the idea. I like cold drinks.

They drank their hot tea and coffee. I drank my cold water. We moved on.
Or so I thought...

On Tuesday afternoon, the same servers and co-workers asked me again, "Would you like a coffee or tea?"
"No, thanks. I don't drink either."
"Really?"
"Really. We discussed it this morning. Water is fine."

This exchange recurred twice on Wednesday, twice on Thursday, and - yes - twice on Friday.
I know they're showing hospitality, and I'm a very patient guy - but I have to admit that a part of my brain wanted to snap!

I shared this with Angie last night at dinner (where I was drinking an ice cold cocktail) and she said, "Groundhog Day".
What?
"Groundhog Day. You're living the movie. You're supposed to learn something from this and change the pattern".

Really?
She laughed, "No. You're just supposed to live with it!"
Thanks...


0 comments: