Sunday, January 31, 2010

Le Grand Tour D'Asia: Day 24 of 58

Singaporean Chinese Beauty, thanks to plan B!

January 31st, 2010
Learning Moment: Singapore

Today, we strolled the streets of Singapore; though Little India, up Orchard Road, and down back alleys. Tonight, while I reviewed the photos I took, I (re)learned two lessons:
  1. Always check your settings.
    Always. Check. Your settings.
    I was using my SLR camera in manual mode the other night and never changed it back to aperture priority. As a result, all 150 photos I took with that camera today were either under or over exposed.
  2. Have a plan B.
    Redundant systems are our friend.
    Today, I was carrying my pocket camera. For no apparent reason, I took 250 photos with my pocket camera. I never do that when I'm carrying my SLR. Well, almost never. Because I did take those pictures, I captured the Singaporean beauty above, during a promotion for the upcoming Chingay parade.

It was an important - but relatively painless lesson.
And that, my friends, is the best kind of lesson.

Training is a place where we can experience important, but painless lessons.
My job as a facilitator is to make sure that:

A) The lessons are painless, and
B) You realize how important they are.

When I do that - you learn, I learn, and life is good for both of us.


0 comments: