Sunday, January 11, 2009

5 Steps to Presenting Like a Rock Star!

Everyone wants to be a rock star, right?

Oh, you might shake your head and say "not me", but I think you're kidding yourself.

How do I know? 
Well, back in the days (nostalgia alert!) when I was in a band, many people came up to me and said, "I love singing, man", "I always wanted to be a guitarist", "It must be great up there", or "After being on stage, the other 22 hours of your day must suck". 

Even the founder of the company I work at - Ken Levy of KLA-Tencor - agreed. He once came up on stage to introduce our band at a company picnic and, looking out over the happy faces in the waiting audience, said, "Oh, you guys have definitely got the best spot at the picnic, up here on stage."

What's my point? Good question...
My point is that you probably have regular opportunities to be a Rock Star (like Susanna Hoffs of the Bangles, from a NY's Eve performace we attended in Waikiki).
But are you taking advantage of those opportunities? I doubt it...

This week I'll post a five part series on how you can use your presentation opportunties to be a rock star.
  1. Have a refrain that everyone can sing to...
  2. Make sure your verses lead the audience to your refrain.
  3. Have a compelling introduction to your song.
  4. Create images for your audience.
  5. Add a bridge or solo to provide pattern disruption.

Each day this week, I'll cover one of these: using example from the world of rock and roll.
In the world of music, a bad presentation doesn't sell.
It's the same in your world, so the sooner you learn from the masters, the better off you'll be.

See you tomorrow!!


0 comments: