Friday, March 27, 2009

How to Make a Stakeholder Map

Last week, I helped a team create a Stakeholder Map.
I've had this idea in my head for awhile, and have done a few on my own - but this was the first time I had a team create one for a presentation.
We presented it today, and it was really effective. The one above is an example:
  • Lines indicate relationships (solid = strong, dotted = weak, none = none).
  • Size equals relative size of the client.
  • Color equals the client feeling about the product or service (green = good, yellow = medium, red = bad, black = no feeling).

The idea is that you can sell a so-so product to a customer with a great relationship, or a great product through a so-so relationship; but anything red puts you at risk... so you need to fix it.

In our meeting today, an executive said, "Why is the customer disconnected?"
Because, this is an internal product, we replied.
The image stuck in his head, because he later said, "No. Internal = External. We need to start thinking about the customer."

A connection that could have easily been buried in a table or text spoke to him through the picture. And gave us an important insight.

This is, I think, a good idea with a mediocre execution. I give it a 8/10 for utility (it communicated its point very well) and a 3/10 for aesthetics.
I'd love to see someone build a stakeholder map template with a strong design sense.
If you do, please send it to me!


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant way of presenting a stakeholder map
Iam sure I will be using it in the future.

Thanks

Bob D