Thursday, March 19, 2009

Nothing Else Matters...

I heard some terrible news today about a friend and former colleague.


He committed suicide a few days ago, after having his wife die suddenly in December.
I had not heard the news about his wife, so it was a double-surprise for me.

He was a good man - friendly, smart... with soft-spoken sense of humor.
One of my most vivid memories of him comes from when our work group had to repair a working relationship with Samsung in Korea. He was new in our department, but immediately volunteered to go in front of the customer and they there for two weeks. He did a great job in Seoul and, quite literally, 'took one for the team'. We all admired that.
And he always, always spoke fondly of his wife. I'm not surprised that he had trouble dealing with the loss.

Why do I write about this here? I suppose one reason is that I can't not write about it. While I'm not comfortable revealing his name, I have a need to honor him in some small way.

Another reason? I'm as guilty as anyone of focusing on all the distractions of life: weather, executive reviews, the upcoming baseball season, and the economy... 
But his situation and his reaction is a reminder to me that our greatest investment - our greatest reward, and risk - is in that thing we call love


0 comments: