Monday, March 9, 2009

The Wise Learner...

The other day, I saw this quote:

The wise investor turns nothing into something.
The unwise investor turns something into nothing.
Ignoring the fact that it's really difficult to be a wise investor in today's economy - this quote immediately took a turn in my head:
The unwise learner turns something into nothing.
The wise learner turns nothing into something.
How many times have you had friends or co-workers who couldn't seem to learn from their mistakes? I know a bunch.
It's not surprising. It's really painful to learn from your mistakes.

I just spent a couple hours today watching videos of myself present a class and, ouch...
There's solace in the fact that I got great feedback for the class (they loved the content and my teaching), but the fact is that there's a big gap between the level I aimed for and the level I delivered.

Video is such a great tool for coaching (or self-coaching).
It's valuable for identifying those 'nothings' that you want to turn into 'somethings'.
At the same time, it's just as valuable for finding those 'somethings' (the things you're doing well) that you don't want to lose.

Do both, and you become a wise learner... and a wise investor... in yourself.


0 comments: