Sunday, March 22, 2009

Saraswati: Goddess of Knowledge and Music

I was taking photos of a project in my office a few weeks ago, and snapped this picture of a statue on my bookshelf.


This is Saraswati - the goddess of knowledge and music, creativity and literature.
Her name means, "the one who flows". Originally, she was a river goddess, but her name came to represent the flow of knowledge.

I learned about Saraswati when we were living in Asia. I'd looked for a good statue for a few years, but never found one I liked.
My friend Ranju offered to look for one when she went to India a few years ago. 
She ended up bringing me two: This one, which stays in my office, and a similar but heavier brass version that stays in my home.

Less than 6 months after Ranju gave me these, I recieved an offer to become a trainer for our company. Saraswati has been with me ever since.


0 comments: