Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Coaching Tips from Lucius Fox

I saw Batman: The Dark Knight a couple of weeks ago and, of course, loved it.
I have trouble to imagining a better Batman film.

One particular scene made me chuckle.
It's when Bruce Wayne's accountant (I think he's the accountant) threatens to unveil Batman's true identity. He wants a bribe from Lucius Fox - portrayed wonderfully by Morgan Freeman.

The 6th Mastery of Coaching, according to the International Association of Coaching, is "Clarifying - Reduce/eliminate confusion or uncertainty; increase understanding and the confidence of the client".
One measure of success is "The client has increased self-awareness, or can see himself or herself from a new perspective".

A great tool for clarifying is the paraphrase, "Let me repeat what I'm hearing to see if I understand...".
Often, when a client hears his or her words, it creates a sort of 'out of body experience' for him or her .

So, when the accountant threatens to blackmail Bruce Wayne, Lucius Fox says,
"Let me get this straight: You think that your client, one of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante who beats criminals to a pulp with his bare hands. And your plan is to blackmail this person?"
It's a funny moment in the film, but it's a perfect example of 'reducing/eliminating confusion' and helping a client 'see himself from a new perspective'.
So, coach like Lucius Fox and you'll be doing just fine!


0 comments: