Sunday, August 24, 2008

Learning, Unlearning, Re-learning

Angie and I were hiking yesterday at Alum Rock Park, in San Jose, and I had carried my camera for more than half the hike without taking a picture. This was annoying me, as I have a fairly heavy camera.

I justified that there was nothing to shoot, as we hadn't 'seen anything interesting'. When I say that, it usually means that I haven't spotted any wildlife - my primary objective when hiking.

I continued walking, and for some reason started thinking about how photography = 'light writing' in latin. I always tell beginners that the lesson in the word photography is that there is no 'writing' - or photography - without light.

That reminded me to look for interesting light for the rest of the hike. I took the above photo about 30 minutes later.

The lesson this photo taught me wasn't about photography. It was about the value of reflection and re-learning the lessons that we've learned before.


0 comments: