Saturday, August 30, 2008

Sniffing and Dogma

The weather in New Jersey this week is absolutely California-ish.
I've spent most of my days sitting outside, reading and surfing (the net).


This is my parents dog Pumpkin.
I'm not a huge fan of that name, so I call her 'Punk' and she responds. It's a workable solution.

She's been training me all week.
She's taught me to throw the ball, to scratch her behind her ear, and to put all food out of her reach.
She's a very good teacher.

She's also taught me a good deal about being curious. 
Punk is the sniffinest dog I've ever met. 
She spends about 80% of her time sniffing the air, sniffing the ground, sniffing my food, and sniffing my leg.

I haven't detected any payoff to all this sniffing, but maybe I'm missing the point.
Perhaps the journey of a thousand miles starts with a single sniff.


0 comments: