Monday, August 25, 2008

The Interview as Learning Tool...


This is Martin Woodrow. He taught me much of what I know about teaching. Some of what he taught me was in words, but most of what he taught me came from watching him teach and facilitate.

It's a compliment to say that I've learned as much from his mistakes as from his successes. Martin takes chances, falls on his face, gets up, and is happy to discuss those mistakes. That's an admirable trait.

I had an assignment (for my Master's Program) to interview an adult educator, and Martin came immediately to mind.

I knew he would provide an interesting interview, but I was surprised how much I learned about him.

I've often seen interviewing exercises in books and on the web (Center for Digital Storytelling is one such place). There are suggestions to interview strangers, family members, etc.
I've never done that, but based on my experience with interviewing Martin, I just might take it up. And if Martin approves, I'll post the interview later.

So, today's learning tip? Interview someone.
You might learn something!


0 comments: