Thursday, September 11, 2008

Book Review: "i never metaphor i didn't like" by Dr. Mardy Grothe

I found this book in a Borders in NJ last week and picked it up. While I was getting my hair cut, my dad was gigling in the background at some of the lines.

Title: "i never metaphor i didn't like"
Author: Dr. Mardy Grothe
Genre(s): Reference, Communication, Creativity
Summary: I can't do any better than to quote the books subtitle: "a comprehensive compilation of history's greatest analogies, metaphors, and similes"

Favorite Quote: I'll give you three:

  1. "Society is like a stew. If you don't stir it up every once in a while, then a layer of scum floats to the top" - Edward Abbey
  2. "No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible." - Stanislaw Lec
  3. "Life is a grindstone, and whether it grinds a man down or polishes him up depends on what he is made of." - Josh Billings

Strengths: It's funny. It's smart. It teaches. What else do you need?
Weaknesses: None.

Conclusion: I immediately ordered three other books by Dr. Grothe (Oxymoronica, Viva la Repartee, and Never Let a Fool Kiss you or a Kiss Fool You.... 'nuff said?


Post-it Flags: 62 flags - I had a man stop me in Denver airport and say, "That' s the most tabbed book I've ever seen."
* Each time I find an interesting quote, model, image, or idea in a book, I mark it with a Post-it flag. The more flags, the more value I found in the book.


0 comments: