Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Book Review: "never let a fool kiss you or a kiss fool you" by Dr. Mardy Grothe

After reading “I never metaphor I didn’t like” - see my review here - I picked up three other books by the author.

"Never let a fool kiss you..." features ‘chiasmus’, which, according to Dr. Grothe, are ‘a literary devise in which word order is reversed’.

My very favorite quote, “Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought” fits in this category.

Title: "never let a fool kiss you or a kiss fool you"
Author: Dr. Mardy Grothe
Genre(s): Reference, Communication, Creativity
Summary: to quote the books subtitle: "word play for word lovers"

Favorite Quote: Here are three:

  1. Art produces ugly things which frequently become beautiful with time. Fashion produces beautiful things which always become ugly with time." – Jean Cocteau
  2. "This isn’t a bar for writers with a drinking problem; it’s for drinkers with a writing problem." – Judy Joice
  3. "I’ve been too fucking busy, and vice versa” – Dorothy Parker

Strengths: It's funny, inspiring, and educational.
Weaknesses: Okay, this one is too short. While ‘metaphor’ was 324 pages, ‘never let a fool kiss you’ is only 119.

Conclusion: I’ll summarize with my own chiasmus - This book is too much fun to be this smart; and too smart to be this much fun.

Post-it Flags: 28 flags
* Each time I find an interesting quote, model, image, or idea in a book, I mark it with a Post-it flag. The more flags, the more value I found in the book.


0 comments: