Friday, October 10, 2008

Am I a Geek? Are You a Geek?

Yesterday, Barry Posner signed my 1st edition copy of The Leadership Challenge. 
Believe it or not, before I met him, I had to decide which edition I was going to ask him to sign - yes, I have all four editions...

In the afternoon, I stopped at the Recycle Bookstore in San Jose, and bought four more books to add to my reading pile.

Based on these two data points, I realize that if someone wanted to convict me of being a geek,  they could find some pretty strong evidence.
  1. I have an engineering degree.
  2. I read for fun.
  3. I don't just read, I collect books.
  4. I have three computers on my desk (powered up and ready to go)
  5. I like anime.
  6. I enjoy the occasional graphic novel, manga, or sequential art.
  7. I enjoy documentaries and foreign films.
  8. I have a large catalogued collection of dvds.
  9. I have a large catalogued collection of cds.
  10. I own a couple of action figures (Musashi Miyamoto and "Ghost in the Shell's" Major Motoko Kusanagi)
  11. I love maps.
  12. I love libraries.
  13. I have a sand (yes... sand) collection.
  14. I can program in BASIC and HTML.
  15. I've had a website since 1998.

Curious, I googled, "Are you a geek?" and "Are you a nerd?"
I took the GeekTest and scored at only 10.45365% (love the accuracy there).

Turns out I'm not even close. The lack of anti-social and fantasy attributes (no role playing games in my past, sorry) holds me back from reaching true geekdom.

How about you? Where do you score?


0 comments: