Wednesday, October 8, 2008

How Wild are You?


Wednesday is CIT (Creativity, Innovation, Thinking) day at huesworks (well, everyday is Creativity day, but on Wednesday, I write about it).


I'm in the process of designing a workshop, and I constantly ask myself whether I'm stepping far enough out of my usual patterns and assumptions when I design.

In that vein, I was reading through Eric Maisel's "Fearless Creating", and found this "wish list for nurturing our own wildness".

Treat it as a checklist and see how you score:
  1. Be asocial by holding society and its norms at arm's length.
  2. Think about big questions.
  3. Have high aspirations for yourself.
  4. Accept your own idiosyncratic goals.
  5. Feel autonomous.
  6. Do not conform.
  7. Be sensitive to human affairs.
  8. Be inquisitive.
  9. Be honest.
  10. Be intelligent.
  11. Be joyful.
  12. Demand originality from yourself.
  13. Be spontaneous.
  14. Rebel.
  15. Cultivate a strong self-image.
  16. Take risks.
  17. Be instinctive.
  18. Be passionate.
  19. Be stubborn.
  20. Be free.

How'd you do? Are you wild or mild?
Where can you stretch a little?

It might (or might not) surprise those around me, but I don't think I go far enough with numbers 1, 6, 14, and 18. I tend to take the path of least resistance.

I'm making a personal commitment to push through that temptation this time.


0 comments: