Thursday, October 16, 2008

Is Life Coaching Bullshit?

When I grow up, I want to be like Penn & Teller.


They join a short list (which includes Tom Peters, P.J. O'Rourke, Lewis Black, Edward Abbey, Kurt Vonnegut, and Bill Hicks) of provocateurs who make me laugh and think - and, yeah, sometimes cringe a little - in equal doses.

I've seen Penn & Teller perform twice and highly recommend them.
I also recommend you watch "Bullshit!", a Showtime series where Penn & Teller debunk popular beliefs about PETA, second hand smoke, religion, bottled water, and more.

Tonight, Angie and I started watching Season Three, which includes an episode on "Life Coaching".
Now, I do a fair amount of coaching at work, but I've shared my concerns about the coaching industry on this blog.
I looked forward to seeing how Penn & Teller would present the industry.

They didn't disappoint. 
Just about every bad coaching cliche shows up in this episode.
  • Pseudo-science? Check.
  • Spiritual garbage? Check.
  • 'Professionals' with no track record dispensing 'professional' advice? Check.
  • Clingy, co-dependent relationships? Check.
  • The unqualified leading the unqualified (by setting up coaching schools)? Check.
  • No sense of irony or perspective? Check and check.

Is there legitimacy in the coaching industry? 
Yes... a little.
Most of the coaches I've met are smart people who want to help others.

But, I've met others who are trying to make a quick buck in a trendy industry, or take a shortcut to success - "I want to give financial advice, but don't want to take the time to get a degree. I know, I'll be a financial coach!!" Stay away from these charlatans, please!

Even if you are lucky enough to find someone who is smart and wants to help, investigate their track record. Is she a bored housewife who took a weekend course? Is he a self-employed coach who needs to keep his schedule full?
Most importantly, are they driving for real results? 
  1. 'Real' coaches get quantifiable results for their clients.
  2. 'Real' coaches refer their clients to financial professionals, real estate professionals, and health professionals when required.
  3. 'Real' coaches 'quit' their clients after the results are achieved.
  4. 'Real' coaching builds independence, not dependence.
  5. 'Real' coaches aren't psychics, don't channel, and don't cuddle clients (I admit, that all these activities are highly entertaining... but I wouldn't look for guidance from them).

As with most things, buyer beware.
If you're in business, a business coach with a track record might be just what you need.

But, as Penn & Teller point out:
The time, money, life energy, and emotional investment you will make in a life coach would - in most cases - be much better spent on something real... a friend.


1 comments:

jade said...

If you're looking to make a real change, this is the program for you. 'Life Changer' sounds corny but let me tell you, nothing has changed my life quite as much as losing 50lbs has. This will not only be a physical battle but also a mental one. I will coach you through your diet and workouts, make sure you avoid any plateaus and keep you on track. susie