Sunday, October 5, 2008

What's Your Core Message?

Where do you do your best thinking?

I do mine when I'm hiking.

Today, Angie and I covered about 5 miles in San Jose's Alum Rock Park. There was wildlife exhibit today, with birds and snakes on show.

We didn't linger at the exhibit, but I couldn't pass up an opportunity to schmooze with a true American Icon - Smokey Bear.

Last week, my colleague Ken and I led a presentation class. In the class, we strongly emphasize the importance of having a 'core message'. 
The core message is that one thing you want your audience to remember when they walk away.

Smokey has one of the strongest core messages that I know of. You probably can hear his booming voice reciting it right now, right?

"Only you can prevent wildfires" is a great core message - short, direct, and memorable.

Do you have a core message? If so, how does your core message compare to Smokeys?


0 comments: