Saturday, October 4, 2008

How To Be Global (Part Two): A Reference Library

Making friends in Seoul, South Korea

Yesterday, I mentioned that in this global environment, we're all similar and yet we're all different.
One example of that is that we all like music and movies - but different cultures will like different kinds of music and movies.

One of my favorite ways to bridge the culture gap is to learn about popular music and cinema in the countries that I visit and work in.
I often open a conversation or presentation by discussing the movie I just saw.
It builds rapport, as most Indians, Chinese, Koreans or Japanese can't believe that you'd actually watch a local movie. If you actually like it, they're thrilled!

In that spirit, I've made a list at Amazon of my favorite Asian books, movies and music.
But hey, if it's art or sports that makes you tick - then go that direction.


You can find plenty of clips of the bands and singers on YouTube. 
I'll whet your appetite with Anggun, from Indonesia, singing "Snow on the Sahara".


0 comments: