Sunday, October 26, 2008

What Can You Tell From Peoples' Stuff?

I love looking at people's stuff...

First, I go look at their bookshelf. Second, the CD and DVD collections. Then, I look at art and collectibles.
And, of course, I make guesses about people and their personalities, based on what they have and don't have.
Who doesn't?

Earlier today, I reviewed Sam Gosling's "Snoop: What your stuff says about you".
While the book struck me as a bit of a lost opportunity, Gosling's framework for investigating peoples' stuff is useful.
  1. identity claims - objects that identify who we are, or want to think we are. These could include the cars we drive, the clothes we wear, music we listen to, or posters on our walls. These can also be outward-facing, so others can identify us; or inward-facing, so we can maintain our identity.
  2. feeling regulators - objects that help us maintain a mood . These could be photos of loved ones, inspirational posters, artwork, or incense.
  3. behavioral residue - the 'things between the things' - like teapots that are never used, as opposed to teapots that are never cleaned.

I decided to 'snoop' on myself, as an example.
Here's a photo of one bookshelf in my room. Click on the photo, study it, and see what you can guess about me.

First let's identify the items (left to right):
  • Top Shelf: Japanese Fine Art Kokeshi (wooden doll), Frank Lloyd Wright quote paperweight, Thai brass musician figures on a bamboo mat.
  • Second Shelf: Bronze Korean Buddhist gong, South American rattles, South African thumb piano.
  • Third Shelf: African percussion gourd, Hawaiian ukulele, Gourd thumb piano, plastic recorder
  • Bottom Shelf: A lot of books, most of which are business books, with training and coaching books in the mix.
  • A Trumpet also appears to the left of the bookcase.

What can we tell?
  1. identity claims - Well, this stuff says that I'm a musician, or want to be. It also says that that I travel and have an affinity for Asia. And that I 'm involved with business, training, and coaching.
  2. feeling regulators - It appears that I want to be reminded of the places I've traveled.
  3. behavioral residue - There are two things you cannot see here: First, there's dust on the instruments, indicating that they aren't often played. Second, the ukulele is in tune, which indicates that it is played by someone, making it more likely that it is not just decorative. A number of the books have bookmarks in them, indicating that the books get read, but not completely. Is it a reference library?

Did you find any other clues?

Sam Gosling uses this information to determine a person's personality.
Using the "Big 5" personality traits:
  • Openness: Close-minded to Open to New Experiences
  • Conscientiousness: Disorganized to Conscientious
  • Extroversion: Introverted to Extroverted
  • Agreeableness: Disagreeable to Agreeable
  • Neuroticism: Calm/Relaxed to Nervous/High-Strung

Where do you think I place on each continuum, based on the above photo?
After you make your guesses, look at my results on the 'Big 5' scale for comparison.

How did you do?
Now, go forward and Snoop!!


0 comments: