Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Great Questions: What Have You Learned?

Today I was at Kaiser Permanente for my 'once-every-three-years' exam.
Their new facility on Homestead is impressive.

I had my book-du-jour - Yes! 50 Scientifically Proven Ways to Be Persuasive - with me, to read in the waiting room.
After my appointment, Dr. Rajput looked at the book, repeated the title and then said, "Tell me what you have learned".

Not, "how is it?" or "what is it about?" or "who wrote it?".
Simply, "Tell me what you have learned."

This tells me a few things about Dr. Rajput.
She's practical. She a learner. I'd also bet that she's an effective mentor or teacher. She assumes that I'm reading to learn. She asks direct questions. And... she's smart...

I say that she's smart because "what have you learned?" is a very smart question.
Here's a few reasons why:

  • If I can't tell her what I learned, then my opinion of whether the book is good or bad is probably irrelevant.
  • If I tell her I didn't learn anything, we can further discuss whether that is because the book offers nothing new, or doesn't communicate well, or if I'm just slow.
  • If I tell her what I've learned, she can decide if that information is useful to her - which is something she can't decide from a 'good' or 'bad' answer.
  • It's a question that's seldom asked. And smart people ask the questions that other people don't!

So, yes, I was a little surprised. But I've learned quite a few things from the book and shared them with her.
I'll write a book review when I finish reading the book, but here's the 'two-bullet' version (so far):

  1. The power of 'social proof'.
  2. The importance of 'maintaining internal consistency'.

What questions get the best results for you?


0 comments: