Thursday, November 6, 2008

12 Types of Story: from Beyond Bullet Points

I had lunch with my buddy Bill Wundrum the other day - I love Black Angus' Cheesy Steak Sandwich, by the way - and we ended up talking about presentations.

At some point, I was telling Bill about Beyond Bullet Points, the excellent book by Cliff Atkinson . Cliff wants us to throw away our bulletpoints, and embrace a storytelling approach.
And you know what? I agree.
I'm tired of doing all the heavy lifting and trying to figure what the hell the presenter is trying to say, as he/she buries me in animations and data.

One of my favorite parts of this book is when Cliff points out 12 types of story.
  1. Historical Narrative
  2. Crisis
  3. Disappointment
  4. Opportunity
  5. Crossroads
  6. Challenge
  7. Blowing the Whistle
  8. Adventure
  9. Response to an Order
  10. Revolution
  11. Evolution
  12. The Great Dream

Before you create your presentation, ask yourself, "Which of these stories do I want to tell?


0 comments: