Friday, November 28, 2008

From Cabo: Hummingbirds, Photography, and Learning

A hummingbird at Plaza Mijares, San Jose del Cabo

A few days ago, I mentioned that pelicans are one of my three favorite birds, along with kingfishers and hummingbirds.
Today, I was lucky enough to be able to photograph a hummingbird feeding on flowers in the Plaza Mijares.
Photography is one of my addictions, for many reasons:
  • photography is a tool I use for making memories (as opposed to capturing them)
  • I enjoy the technical aspects
  • I find viewfinders to be an excellent tool for seeing
  • I find the process of interpreting a scene fascinating
  • I enjoy working with the environment - light, shadow, clouds, people
  • Tracking and anticipating the movements of people and wildlife is challenging. It combines the skills of an anthropologist, a naturalist, a psychologist, a musician, an athlete, and sometimes a seer
  • I constantly learn through all of the above

This was a challenging shot.
The hummingbird was shy. People were milling around and scaring it away.
There were too many flowers in bloom. The hummingbird was flitting erratically from one to another and then back. It was difficult to predict where he would be next.
The light was contrasty. The hummingbird spent much time in shadows, where a good photo was impossible.

I sat around these bushes (there were 4 of them in a 50 foot stretch) for about 40 minutes. The hummingbird spent about ten of those minutes around the bushes. During those ten minutes, I took ten photos.

While this is not an award winning picture, I'm quite happy with it as a record of a beautiful day, an extraordinary creature, and my efforts to capture both.


0 comments: