Friday, November 21, 2008

Triple Your Spanish Vocabulary! Guaranteed or your Money Back!

We fly today to Cabo San Lucas (pictured to the right) for a little RnR at the Hilton Los Cabos Resort.

I love the collision of desert and ocean that occurs in Baja, so I'm really looking forward to this.

Ceviche, chorizos, chipotle, and chiquitas!
Time to start rolling my r's...

Speaking of which, I can triple the average Spanish vocabulary in one easy step.
I learned this in Mexico in 1991.

We were in Loreto, watching a parade of some type.
It looked like an election, so I asked an older Mexican man who was standing next to me.
Me: "Election?"
Him: "No comprende"
Me: "ELECTION?"
Him: "No comprende"
Me: "E... LEC...TION?"
Him: (shakes his head)

Finally, the proverbial light bulb appears above my head.
Me: "Eleccion?"
Him: as if discovering a dog could talk, "Si! Si! Eleccion!"

I realized that if I took every english word that ends with '-tion' and turned it to '-cion', I was now a master of Spanish.
I could go to the estacion and have a conversacion with the populacion of Mexico!!!

Viva '-cion'!


0 comments: