Saturday, November 22, 2008

From Cabo: Vultures and a Saguaro

I'm not the biggest birder in the world, but I guess this is a turkey vulture?
It was fighting with three other vultures over a dead pufferfish.

It's hard to imagine a more vivid demonstration of the harshness of a desert environment than three vultures fighting over a dead pufferfish (even in the best of conditions, I don't think there's much to eat on a pufferfish).

Another of my favorite icons of the desert is the saguaro cactus. Here's one we spotted.
Yes, there's so little in the desert that someone had to use this cactus as a fence post!
It's really effective, I'm sure.

As most of my friends know, I have a really lame sense of humor. One example?
Whenever I see a saguaro, I sing to it, using the melody from "Tomorrow". Yes, the "Tomorrow" that the annoying little red-haired girl sings in "Annie", which I've never even seen...
That's as far as I get before Angie tells me to shut up... which is good, because I don't know the rest of the song anyway.


0 comments: