Sunday, November 30, 2008

Finding an Anchor...

One of my favorite facilitations is our presentation workshop.
It's always fun and productive. Talk about learning, unlearning and re-learning...

I learn every time I watch someone present. I learn about humility, perseverance, and authenticity. There are a million different ways to present, but the most successful path is always the path of authenticity.

I try to unlearn bad habits every time I present. Video is great for this. Knowing I'm going to be taped is always incentive to drop filler words, limit my distracting movements, and try to control my tendency to go 'off script' (that's a nice way to put it!).

I also re-learn forgotten lessons. In our last workshop, I was reminded of the power of 'anchoring'.
Many people get nervous when they present. I have found that almost everyone can find an anchoring stimulus that will calm them down.
  • For some, it's simply eye contact. When they make one-on-one eye contact, they forget that they are presenting to a group, turn it into a conversation, and relax.
  • For some, it's answering a question. So, why not open by inviting questions, or asking the audience a question.
  • I've coached a few people who are anchored by writing. They start off nervous, but as soon as they write on a whiteboard or flip chart, they are fine. We coach them to get to the board as quickly as possible. As a bonus, people who write in real-time, look way smarter than PowerPoint jockeys.
  • One of our participants found an anchor in his eyeglasses. He found that the act of stopping, taking off his glasses, and speaking directly to one person centered him. He could then get another 'break' or pause, by putting the eyeglasses back on. It looked great - not fake at all - and it made him comfortable.
  • For me, sitting is an anchor. If I can sit on the edge of a table, or even sit in a chair with my audience, I slow down and become more present. I always look for a chance to do that.

What are your anchors? Do you have one? More?
Experiment... and let me know what you find.


0 comments: