Monday, November 17, 2008

The Three Steps of Managing People

One of my first managers, Merc Martinelli, taught me a lot about management.

Merc wasn't a terribly talkative guy, so I can't remember if he told me these lessons, or if I just picked them up from him. I'm guessing he told them to me...

Anyway, here's the lesson...

Managing people isn't that complicated. 
There are just three steps:
  1. Tell 'em what to do
  2. Give 'em the tools to do it
  3. Get the hell out of the way
There are managers who don't provide any of these. Run from these folks; they are not managers, they're damagers!

There are managers who tell you what to do, but don't provide tools or autonomy.
There are managers who give you tools, but don't provide goals or autonomy.
There are managers who get out of the way, but don't provide goals or tools.

There are even some managers who will consistently deliver on two of these three, but the one that's missing will kill you.

What you want (NEED) is a manager who delivers on all three. 
If you're a manager, you need to provide these.
It's not that difficult, but it is rare.

Here's an exercise:
Rate your current manager on these three steps.
Use a three-point scale of never (1 pt), sometimes (2 pts), or always (3pts). 
I'm lucky. My manager scores 8/9.
I wouldn't work for someone who scores less than 6, but I'm looking for a 7 or 8.

Then rate yourself if you're a manager (or even if you're not, you manage yourself after all...) .
How'd you do? Would you work for you?


0 comments: